Thursday, September 5, 2019

Week 9 -- Sorry no share-contents picture this time! =(

Hey everyone!

So, I had Doro and I's share splayed out on the table yesterday (as I usually do, while I'm packing the other baskets), but forgot to take a pic before rushing off to the Wedge... and then I forgot to text her, and ask her to take a pic -- before she rinsed, trimmed and packed everything where it needed to go! Anyhow, there were only two new things that deserved a little explaining, and even though I THINK I told you all in person, I can put it here as well:

Popping corn -- These are the smaller cobs; I think the variety is 'strawberry' (color-wise it makes sense). Peel, rinse off/out any stupid tiny wormies that might be trying to have a party with one or more kernels, and then place on a sunny windowsill for a couple of weeks. Should be dry enough for popping by then!

Regular corn -- I had hoped, SO BADLY, that I could find two ears for each member... but unfortunately, many of the ears I squeezed in testing had not-fully-mature kernels in them. So, be prepared to use your veggie-slicing knife in remarkably precise fashion, to cut each family member a justly-portioned mini-cob! =P Also, this is an heirloom variety that has a bit more starch than your typical Ingles fare... great for making creamed corn, but be ready for some squeakiness (if you were just gonna boil, butter, and typewriter-munch those kernels off).

Next Wednesday is the last share delivery day (and probably a good time to stop, as tomato production is basically non-existent, and things will be turning into an okra-only parade in just a week or so)... It has been a great summer being with you all, and sharing in this local bounty... I will try to find something special to put in that last basket, so that we can go out with a proverbial bang! =)

Your mini-farmer dude and friend,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment